After more than a month of fighting, a temporary ceasefire has been reached in deadly clashes between two warring factions in Sudan, the US State Department announced on Saturday.
The short-term cease-fire agreement, brokered by the United States and Saudi Arabia in Jeddah, was signed on Saturday and will take effect at 9:45 p.m. Central African Time on Monday, the State Department said. The agreement will last seven days and may be extended with an agreement from both parties, the State Department said.
Fighting between Sudan’s armed forces and the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) paramilitary group began in mid-April and has killed more than 750 people, according to the latest numbers from the Armed Conflict Locations and Events Data Project.
AFP via Getty Images
Under the terms of the temporary ceasefire, both sides agreed to withdraw forces from hospitals and other “essential public facilities” as well as help provide humanitarian aid.
The State Department said in a news release that they have “agreed to allow the unimpeded flow of goods from ports of entry to essential populations.”
There have been several previous ceasefire violations in the past few weeks, but this latest agreement has been signed by both sides and “will be supported by a US-Saudi and internationally-backed ceasefire monitoring system,” according to the State Department.
During the ceasefire, talks will continue in Jeddah in hopes of a permanent end to the fighting, the State Department said.
fight fromBetween two former allies, and now rivals: General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, leader of the Sudanese Armed Forces, and General Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo, leader of the RSF.
The ensuing violence caused significant destruction in Sudan’s capital city of Khartoum and the neighboring city of Oderman.
Last month, the US military DrUS diplomatic staff from Sudan and the US Embassy in Khartoum closed. Hundreds of US civilians .
— Haley Ott contributed to this report.