WARREN — A 34-year-old man pleaded guilty this week to attempted assault in connection with a Warren police officer being struck during a skirmish on Nov. 27, 2021.
Corey Svoboda, who gave addresses on West Avenue, Boardman, and Sheridan Avenue, Warren, appeared before Trumbull County Common Pleas Judge Andrew D. Logan, who will sentence him after a background investigation conducted by county probation officers.
Svoboda, who remains jailed pending the posting of a $7,500 bond, could face between six and 18 months in prison.
The case stems from Warren police investigating a burglary at an Elm Road NE home. A suspect, identified as Svoboda, was stopped about 12:20 p.m. while he was walking south on Elm, a police report states.
In the process of detaining him, the officer and the suspect went to the ground and while wrestling, the officer was hit in the left side of the face with an elbow. Svoboda has been in the Trumbull County jail since the arrest.
In Judge Ronald J. Rice’s court Tuesday afternoon, Xavier L. Baynes, 26, of Cherry Avenue, Niles, pleaded guilty to two counts of unlawful sexual conduct with a minor. Baynes will undergo a background investigation by probation officers before being sentenced by Rice on Thursday, court records show.
In other criminal cases heard by Logan on Tuesday:
• Hollis B. Stull, 50, of Masury, was given a two-year prison sentence for probation violations on separate convictions for 2017 and 2018 crack cocaine possession cases. Probation officers asked the judge to terminate probation because Stull can’t comply with the terms;
• Scott Langham, 39, of Comstock Street NW, Warren, pleaded guilty to a charge of failure to register with the sheriff a change of address and was given a six-month prison sentence. Langham was labeled a sex offender because of a 2009 sexual imposition conviction from Warren Municipal Court;
• Paul D. Harris, 31, of Tibbetts Wick Road. Girard, pleaded guilty to a fourth-degree domestic violence felony and was given a six-month prison term. The case dealt with a Nov. 3, 2021, assault on a household member investigated by Weathersfield police;
• Brad L. Miller, 29, of Virginia Drive NW, Warren, pleaded guilty to a charge of possession of a fentanyl-related compound and was sentenced to a six-month prison term. The case dealt with a June 9, 2021, arrest in Howland Township, where the defendant was found unconscious after running from police. Miller will serve the sentence concurrently with a two-to-three-year prison term he received in December for a robbery conviction;
• Maurice E. Evans Jr., 40, of Southern Boulevard NW, Warren, pleaded guilty to five drug counts, four of trafficking in cocaine dealing with an investigation by the Warren police Street Crimes Unit. Evans will be sentenced after he undergoes a background investigation by the county probation department. Prosecutors said the trafficking dealt with undercover drug buys in March, July and December of 2019, while the possession charge dealt with a Warren traffic stop where Evans was found with the drug. Evans also agreed to forfeit $720 also found by police during the traffic stop. He could face from one to five years in prison;
• Darrell Trimble, 33, of Bonnie Brae Avenue NE, Warren, pleaded guilty to a possession of cocaine charge. Trimble, who could face six to 18 months in prison, will be sentenced after he undergoes a background investigation by probation officers. The case stems from a Jan. 22, 2021, traffic stop in Warren where cocaine was found on Trimble, who was a passenger in the vehicle.
Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox